Is it possible to apply color to the toolbars?

Discussion, questions and support.
Oblias8

Is it possible to apply color to the toolbars?

#1 Post by Oblias8 » 04.02.2014, 18:42

Hello all, new member, and new user of FreeCommander XE for about 3 days now. I've been using Dopus for the last 6 years or so, but it's such a memory hog that I went on a search for an excellent file browser with all the features I want and need.

I am VERY impressed with FCXE so far, regarding functionality and reliability, and the small memory usage of the program. I am , of course, using the free version for now, until I decide if its going to be the permanent replacement for Dopus.

Anyways, on to my question. I have created a Favorite Toolbar, and then put some Categories on it, for like Apps, Docs, System Utilities, and so on. In each category I have also put some programs that I use. This has worked very well for me, and the buttons are all on one toolbar. My problem is that the toolbar is just a plain white color. Is it possible to change that color? I have changed the colors of the tabs, the lister panes, the selected file, ect....

I cannot figure out how to change the color of the toolbars from plain white to say a mellow blue or something. I have read many posts, and tried the one that applied to the old version of FC. I went to Tools-View Style-Gradient Custom and selected Custom Style. I then went into the Define section and changed colors to what I want them to be, Applied, then clicked OK.

I did not get the result I wanted. Instead of the toolbar itself being changed to my color choice, just the buttons were changed to my color, and that happens only when I select a button or menu item.

Is there a way to change the color of the entire length of the toolbar, regardless of the icons on them??
Many Thanks from Oblias!!
Using newest 2014 XE
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to apply color to the toolbars?

#2 Post by Dreamer » 05.02.2014, 00:52

Hello Oblias, welcome to the FreeCommander forum!

Changing the toolbar colors is possible. Just change the colors in Custom Style dialog as you said, then you have to change these options to have the whole toolbar background in the same colors:

- right click the toolbar and select "Customize favorite toolbars..."
- select "Toolbar options" tab
- select "General options" tab
- disable the first option, "Integrate fav. toolbar with action tollbars"
- enable the option "one wrappable toolbar

Here is the example:

If you need more help, please explain your problem and perhaps post a screenshot.

Oblias8

#3 Post by Oblias8 » 05.02.2014, 03:15

Hello Dreamer, and thank you for the warm welcome!!

I also thank you for heading me in the right direction. I followed your instructions to the letter, only to find that I had already set those parameters just exactly as you described. So, I sat here and pondered what could be different from what you had posted. I decided to do some back-tracking, and went back to the View Style procedure I did earlier today that changed the buttons, but not the toolbars. That's where I found my mistake. I changed the colors for the "Selection color" only, and not for the "Background" colors. Both the Background colors were still set to white. Once I changed those and applied, the toolbars came to life!! :) Many thanks for getting my mind started down the right track.

However ( there's always a 'However', isn't there?), However, the Menu bar, the one with the words File, Edit, Folder, etc.. did not change. It is still white as the 3 ft of snow outside my window. Is that normal, or can that also be changed to a different color? Same question about the bar in each lister window with the words Name, Extension, Size Auto, etc. If I hover my pointer over each section, they change color slightly, but then when I move the pointer away, they go back to being very light colored. Is there a way to change those colors? I have gone thru each section of the Settings dialog box, but can't seem to find a way. Of course, it might be because I don't know the correct terms for those header sections yet.

All in all, I do believe Dopus is a thing of the past for me. FCXE uses 1/3 of the memory, seems to be just as configurable, and the support is outstanding, thanks to you so far!!

So, any way to address those two final issues, the menu bar and the columns bar?? Thanks for your time and effort to share the knowledge!

UPDATE: I found how to change the menu bar, by changing the Gradient Stop button from white to another color, so that one is solved and off the list. So, all that remains now is the columns bar colors. Any advice for me on that issue?
Using newest 2014 XE

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 06.02.2014, 01:14

You're welcome.

Regarding the menu - there is another way - use the option "show menu as toolbar", but this way you'll have some empty areas. There is a workaround, don't use menu at all, use the toolbar button to show menu as context menu instead, or/and button to quickly show/hide menu.

The other "columns bar" problem, currently it's impossible to change it, one user already asked this, but I can't find that topic now.

Oblias8

#5 Post by Oblias8 » 06.02.2014, 10:27

Dreamer wrote:You're welcome.

Regarding the menu - There is a workaround, don't use menu at all, use the toolbar button to show menu as context menu instead, or/and button to quickly show/hide menu.
Outstanding!! That got rid of the stark grey top-most bar that was mostly empty! Excellent advice, and the lister as a whole looks MUCH better now.
The other "columns bar" problem, currently it's impossible to change it, one user already asked this, but I can't find that topic now.
I can live with that, for now. Hopefully in the future that feature will be coded into the program. If not, it's a small detail that I can learn to live with. You know that old saying.... "You can't have it all. Even if you could, where would you put it?"

You have been most helpful, and you can know that you have converted a long time user of the 'other' program to FCXE!!

Now, I'm off to post another topic RE: a command question. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm willing to put in the time and effort. Take care!!
Using newest 2014 XE