Disable showing Desktop without filepath

Discussion, questions and support.
daavi

Disable showing Desktop without filepath

#1 Post by daavi » 24.01.2014, 23:58

Hi,

when i start in random directory and go up the tree i will come to C: then to "Computer" and then to Desktop. From there i cannot get any further so that seems to be like root. How can i disable that so "Computer" or "C:" is the root?
The same problem also occurs when i start in a random directory under Desktop like "C:/Users/myname/Desktop/some/random/path" and i go up the tree until i get to the Desktop directory - then it wont show "C:/Users/myname/Desktop" but only "Desktop" with no more ".." directory.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Disable showing Desktop without filepath

#2 Post by Dreamer » 25.01.2014, 00:08

Probably it's impossible, but I think it would be useful to change the root to Computer or drive.

daavi

#3 Post by daavi » 25.01.2014, 00:14

Hi, i tried this, but it didnt change anything. Windows Explorer shows same behaviour... why does microsoft do that. u_u

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss » 25.01.2014, 08:30

And why is this a problem for you? I don't understand.
C:\Users\user\Desktop is a normal folder and Desktop is a virtual place from where you can access Control panel, Recycle bin, My computer, Libraries etc. and can customize its look and feel... They might have the same name, but they are 2 completely different things.

In FCXE you can do this, however:

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 25.01.2014, 23:13

I need that "base folder" option also for the file list, definitely. I'd use the "computer" or "drive" option.

Reason - not just me, but also some FC users like that it was possible to just hold the backspace for a moment to go to root, in old version, if XE it's different and there is no option for old behavior.

I don't understand why it's available for tree and not for the file list.

I'd like to move this topic to "Feature Requests", if you agree...

alf5000

#6 Post by alf5000 » 26.01.2014, 10:46

Dreamer wrote:I need that "base folder" option also for the file list, definitely. I'd use the "computer" or "drive" option.

Reason - not just me, but also some FC users like that it was possible to just hold the backspace for a moment to go to root, in old version, if XE it's different and there is no option for old behavior.
I definitely second old FC behavior.
(as a workaround I assigned Shift+Ctrl+Space to "Root" command, but you know this way it's one more shortcut to remember)
(win10pro x64) - (latest FCXE x64 portable)