details column widths

Discussion, questions and support.
asbaker47

details column widths

#1 Post by asbaker47 » 07.01.2014, 23:39

I don't remember having this problem with the older version. In XE when I resize a column, it eventually pops back out too wide to let me view the next column. (I have a tree and files in each pane, my default way of working.) The column after filename is headed "size auto ." If I right click that it offers me keys to Auto resize columns but nothing to let me set them myself. I have tried to set them manually and save settings but it still pops back out whether I close and reopen the program or just move around in it (I think). I really like to have filename and size available as I sort in both ways. What am I doing wrong as I try to get away from Powerdesk which I've used for a decade :)
Lynn

nonong1191

Re: details column widths

#2 Post by nonong1191 » 08.01.2014, 04:52

i had the same problem. you need to edit the settings of the column profile, or create your own column profile.
(go to View menu > Column Profile > Profile settings. then select the column profile and click the hammer button for define columns. Then uncheck the box for Autosize for "Name" column.) you many also want to add a new column for "size kb" and use that instead of "size Auto".

asbaker47

#3 Post by asbaker47 » 08.01.2014, 05:18

Hey thanks - that worked!

Is there some guide with more info like that? I'd like to get it to open with drive c: expanded though it's not really a problem. And I'm sure, after playing around for another few hours, I'll find a bunch of other things I'll try. Meanwhile it's as close to my old Powerdesk as I can get without PD's lonnnnnnnngggg pauses in reading the file list. FC has crashed a few times but I'm making so many changes and trying things out that it probably gets too much stray bytes getting lost!

Thanks again for such a rapid reply.
Lynn

nonong1191

#4 Post by nonong1191 » 08.01.2014, 05:32

no problem. glad to be of help. try this for some documentation that others have put together for earlier versions...http://www.freecommander.com/fc_guide_en.htm

it should guide you in the right directions.

asbaker47

#5 Post by asbaker47 » 09.01.2014, 04:43

By the way, using the hammer to configure autosize worked sometimes and reverted others. I edited the autosize to 0 in the ini and it seems to work better. I also changed the size as you suggested. So far so good. A work in progress :-)
Lynn