Way to have FC display thumbnails only for graphics, icons for all other files?

Discussion, questions and support.
prr

Way to have FC display thumbnails only for graphics, icons for all other files?

#1 Post by prr » 06.07.2021, 02:00

I would like to see if I can get FC to show thumbnails of each graphic file (jpeg, png, etc.) but icons for all my text & pdf files.

Is this possible?
Paul

FC XE 2023 Build 880

prr

Re: Way to have FC display thumbnails only for graphics, icons for all other files?

#3 Post by prr » 06.07.2021, 18:14

I did check that page, but I still didn't see a way to show thumbnails only for folders with lots of graphics (or simply, thumbnails for graphics only). I can go into FC view menu, and switch from icon view to thumbnail view, but that changes the view setting for all files.

Can I have FC set up so that no matter what folder I'm in, I will see every graphic as a thumbnail, and every text/pdf file as an icon?
Paul

FC XE 2023 Build 880

prr

Re: Way to have FC display thumbnails only for graphics, icons for all other files?

#4 Post by prr » 06.07.2021, 18:28

The best I can do is just set the folder for Thumbnail view, and then tell FC to not show thumbnail for PDF, DOC, RTF, etc.

I guess that's the way to go here.

Problem with that view, is that the icons for the text files are much too big for my tastes and for what I need, when I use the thumbnail view as my view setting.
Paul

FC XE 2023 Build 880

Dreamer
Site Admin

#5 Post by Dreamer » 06.07.2021, 18:43

Make thumbnails for the text files

This setting specifies that thumbnails will show the start of text files whose file extension is entered in the input field.

Example for the input of file extensions: ".bat.ini.txt".

No thumbnails for the files:

All file types listed in this edit field are not shown as thumbnails.

Example: .psd.tiff.gif
Just remove txt from the first field and add pdf to the other field.

You can check also the Automatic views, with this feature you can use a different view for folders with images, non-images, documents...

prr

#6 Post by prr » 06.07.2021, 21:25

Thanks, Dreamer. I went ahead and did this. I went into my settings to set up an automatic view, and have a view name Photo, and the condition field has this in it:

*.jpg; *.png; *.jpeg; *.bmp

I have the view set for Thumbnail, but in a folder full of jpegs, I still see icons.

Dreamer wrote: 06.07.2021, 18:43 Just remove txt from the first field and add pdf to the other field.

You can check also the Automatic views, with this feature you can use a different view for folders with images, non-images, documents...
Paul

FC XE 2023 Build 880

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 07.07.2021, 21:05

Please re-check if everything is correct, use the Help link from the topic above.

Option "Switch view mode automatically on folder change" must be enabled, checked.