Opening photos

Discussion, questions and support.
jackeroofan

Opening photos

#1 Post by jackeroofan » 13.12.2020, 10:30

Good morning,

I am fairly new to FreeCommander but really like using the software. When opening o photo from FreeCommander in the Windows 10 photo app it dowen't show the arrows to navigate to the next or previous photo within the same folder. When opening a photo in internet explorer this is possibe. Is there a workaround or could this be fixed in one of the next versions?

I am using FreeCommander XE 2020 Build 810a 32-bit public

Kind regards,
Jack

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Opening photos

#2 Post by Dreamer » 13.12.2020, 13:18

Hello Jack, welcome to the FreeCommander forum.

It looks it's a bug, when opening image from Windows explorer in "Photos" app, auto-hide buttons are shown and it's possible to switch images also with mouse wheel, but when opening them from FreeCommander, it doesn't work, while Ctrl+wheel to zoom works, it's strange.

I tried to find some workaround, but it looks there's a problem with access in Windows. Drag&drop image to desktop Photos all doesn't work either.

Moved to Bug reports.

FC 830 public beta 32-bit, 835 donor 64-bit.

Anyway, if you like FreeCommander, I recommend to use internal FreeCommander viewer, or alternative image viewer, e.g.:
- Internal viewer - open with F3 or click the Viewer splitter button, it's possible to set to open images also with Enter/double-click.
- XnView or XnView MP - external image viewer with advanced features, batch operations, free for non-commercial usage.

In both cases you can use previous/next toolbar buttons, use mouse wheel to switch images, it's possible to set wheel to switch images or zoom.

If you have more questions, please create a new topic.

Marek
Author
Author

#3 Post by Marek » 13.12.2020, 15:17

When opening o photo from FreeCommander in the Windows 10 photo app it dowen't show the arrows to navigate to the next or previous photo within the same folder. When opening a photo in internet explorer this is possibe.
As far as I know, Windows Photo App always reacts this way if it is not started from Windows Explorer. In other words, the problem is with Microsoft.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 13.12.2020, 21:04

You are right, it's not a FC bug, but really ugly Windows "feature".

I don't think it's a problem, other image viewers are much better and they all work good.

Moved to General Discussion.

Hugo_W

#5 Post by Hugo_W » 14.12.2020, 17:44

Hi jackeroofan
The Irfan View works perfectly with the Free Commander for photos.
I've worked with both of them for a long time.
https://www.irfanview.com/ (32 Bit & 64 Bit)

You can switch to the next image here with the space bar (very convenient) or the mouse wheel. Irfan offers a lot of possibilities!

Hugo

jackeroofan

#6 Post by jackeroofan » 14.12.2020, 18:10

Thank you for the responses.
On my company PC I cannot install any other software, but using the inbuilt FreeCommander viewer (F3) does the trick.

Regards,
Jack

Dreamer
Site Admin

#7 Post by Dreamer » 14.12.2020, 22:01

You're welcome.

Most good image viewers are free only for non-commercial usage.

Internal viewer is a solution, as I said, you can set it as default action, so you will be able to open images with Enter and double-click in internal viewer, like this:
fc default action.png