Couldn't restore default setting

Discussion, questions and support.
mgroen

Couldn't restore default setting

#1 Post by mgroen » 18.02.2020, 13:51

I just tried to restore settings, but this is prevented.

scenario:
- In FC -> Tools -> Restore all settings
- popup is displayed with location of default settings. I press OK
- Another popup is displayed , with confirmation to overwrite. I press Yes
- Windows message is displayed:

https://postimg.cc/t1cTc1fr

- I have option to skip (Overslaan), or Cancel (Annuleren). Both options do not lead to overwrite the ssettings

Also tried the same starting FC in Admin mode. Also got same issue.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: Couldn't restore default setting

#2 Post by Dreamer » 20.02.2020, 21:52

I'm not sure where is the problem, you can try to change the location of the settings folder in Settings > Start program > Configuration folder.

Try to use other folder than "Program files".

mgroen

Re: Couldn't restore default setting

#3 Post by mgroen » 21.02.2020, 12:33

Dreamer wrote: 20.02.2020, 21:52 I'm not sure where is the problem, you can try to change the location of the settings folder in Settings > Start program > Configuration folder.

Try to use other folder than "Program files".
The issue is not where the source of the settings folder. The problem is is that when restoring the files, a message is displayed with the message that the source files have same name as the destination.
And that in the warning message there is no option to override files with the same name. I think this is a message from Windows, not from FC (but I am not sure). Because of lacking option to override files with same name, there is no way to restore settings this way.

jcaiken

Re: Couldn't restore settings from saved Backup

#4 Post by jcaiken » 06.03.2022, 11:37

Hi,
I have the same issue when trying to copy my settings onto a different PC.
The 'Restore Settings' action asks permission to overwrite the existing files but then interrupts the overwrite process with a warning that the "Freecommander.ini" filename is the same. The warning only offers "Skip" and "Cancel" options. Skipping just means that the next file generates the same warning.

This is on a recent PC running the latest Windows 10 and using 'FreeCommanderXE 2022 866 64-bit donor'.

Workaround - Copy the files and folders from the Backup folder into the Settings folder and over-write the original files - ensure the date of the backup (in the filename) is correct.