questions about FreeCommander functionality

Discussion, questions and support.
mgroen

questions about FreeCommander functionality

#1 Post by mgroen » 07.02.2020, 19:51

Hi,
I want to give FreeCommander a try on PC.

However I have a couple of questions about it:
1. Does FreeCommander support branch view/flat view (however it is called). Meaning you can view through folder structures and see all files including files in subfolders and sub subfolders in one panel?

2. If so, can FreeCommander be setup that its always functioning in branch view? 

3. Can the (relative) path of files be displayed in a column within folders/and subfolder? Combined with flat view/branch view?

4. Can FreeCommander be setup that it replaces "Common dialogs" (Save, Save As, Open) in Windows 10?

5. Can FreeCommander be setup to display 1 panel (in stead of 2)?

6. Can Unreal display contents of pdf files/doc files/docx files / excel files in a preview panel?

Thanks for your time and your reaction.

Dreamer
Site Admin

Re: questions about FreeCommander functionality

#2 Post by Dreamer » 07.02.2020, 22:10

1. Yes, it's the "plain view" in FC, 3 different modes, Ctrl+B shortcut for main mode.
2. You can lock the tab, enable plain view and it will be enabled even if you exit FC. I'm not sure, but perhaps also Layouts must be used, with auto-save option.
3. I'm not sure what you mean, not sure if relative, but paths can be shown as column - always, or just with the plain view, check the Column profiles and Automatic views options.
4. I'm not sure, but you can add "Open with FreeCommander", check the "Shell menu" in Settings (F12).
5. Yes, F10 to toggle, by default.
6. "Unreal"? Anyway, the answer is yes for PDF, if you have a problem, check the FAQ, I'm not sure about the others, probably with lister plugins, you can use those from TC.

Useful links are below, for the FAQ and Online help.

mgroen

#3 Post by mgroen » 18.02.2020, 15:17

Dreamer wrote: 07.02.2020, 22:10 1. Yes, it's the "plain view" in FC, 3 different modes, Ctrl+B shortcut for main mode.
2. You can lock the tab, enable plain view and it will be enabled even if you exit FC. I'm not sure, but perhaps also Layouts must be used, with auto-save option.
3. I'm not sure what you mean, not sure if relative, but paths can be shown as column - always, or just with the plain view, check the Column profiles and Automatic views options.
4. I'm not sure, but you can add "Open with FreeCommander", check the "Shell menu" in Settings (F12).
5. Yes, F10 to toggle, by default.
6. "Unreal"? Anyway, the answer is yes for PDF, if you have a problem, check the FAQ, I'm not sure about the others, probably with lister plugins, you can use those from TC.

Useful links are below, for the FAQ and Online help.
Sorry for late reply. I had been busy with discovering other aspects of FC :)

regarding points above:
1. OK
2. I didn't get this working yet. View layouts remain when Auto save is set to True (Setting -> General -> Auto save settings on exit. Layouts are saved however branch view is reset to off when FC is restarted. I didn't find a way to keep this active when FC is restarted.
3. Only full path can be displayed in the columns in panel view. I have not been able to view relative path. What I mean with relative path is path from current position on. This can be useful if branch view is enabled. The difference with full path is that full path displays path from the root on, relative path displays only from current position.
4. I have checked options, however I could in no way get FC be started when a normal Windows Save as / Open is invoked (so let FC be opened instead of the default Windows Open/Save As window). Honestly This sounds nice but I do not think its possible to do this in Windows...
5. OK, clear. thanks
6. OK thanks.

Dreamer
Site Admin

#4 Post by Dreamer » 18.02.2020, 21:29

2. OK, it looks it works only with locked tabs, when using layouts with "auto save current layout" (and off course with option "auto save settings - on exit"). If this is not enough, consider to create a new request - 1 topic per issue, please.

3. You are right, it could be useful, not sure if it's possible to add, create a new topic in Feature Requests.

Forez

#5 Post by Forez » 19.02.2020, 23:06

mgroen wrote: 07.02.2020, 19:51 [...]
can FreeCommander be setup that its always functioning in branch view?
[...]
Dreamer wrote: 18.02.2020, 21:29 [...]
it works only with locked tabs
[...]
You are wrong

I use the CTRL + B mode all the time for something like 2 years now and I probably never had to have locked tab in order for it to stay in that mode

More input on that matter from me is here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10326&p=31786#p31786

Dreamer
Site Admin

#6 Post by Dreamer » 19.02.2020, 23:24

Please continue in the other topic.